Examples - see how we will help!
The Algebra Word Problem Solver Solves Water and Wind Current Word Problems.
See more water and wind current word problem examples solved by the Algebra Word Problem Solver.
- Speed in still water, Current speed, Time difference: Find Times Upstream, Downstream.
- Still water speed and water current speed is given.
- Upstream / Downstream time relationship.
What You Enter
A motorboat can travel 25 miles per hour in still water. If it travels in a river which flows at a speed of 5 miles per hour, how far will it travel downstream in 5 hours, and upstream in 5 hours.
What You Get
Given: Upstream Time = 5 HOURS Given: Downstream Time = 5 HOURS Given: V = Speed in still water = 25 MPH Given: V = Speed of Current = 5 MPH Let U = Distance Travelled Upstream Let D = Distance Travelled Downstream U = (V-C) * UpstreamTime U = (25 - 5) * 5 U = 100 MILES Upstream U = (V+C) * DownstreamTime D = (25 + 5) * 5 D = 150 MILES Downstream
Solution: D = 150 MILES Downstream
Solving Water/Air Current Word ProblemsWhere the Still Water Speed and DCurrent Speed are given.Variables:
- V = Speed in Still water
- C = Speed of current
- (V + C) = Downstream_Speed
- (V – C) = Upstream_Speed
- (V + C) * Downstream_Time = Downstream_Distance
- (V – C) * Upstream_Time = Upstream_Distance